- development of a shallow root system that is dependent upon daily watering. Any periods of drought will not be tolerated by the plants.
- waste of precious resources (water)
- compaction of soil surface which leads to reduced infiltration of water
- run-off leading to soil erosion, uneven water distribution, and pollution of water sources from garden pesticides and fertilizers
- development of fungal diseases as the plants are constantly exposed to moisture
To check your irrigation rate, just put a measuring cup in your garden as you water. When one inch of water is in the cup, it's time to turn off the hose.